Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Happy Holiday, Everyone!

I love Christmas! Ho, Ho, Ho, Jingle bells, deck the halls, and joy to the world. It’s just such a fun time of year. Honestly, humans probably just invented it to get through the drudgery of winter, with its longer nights and grey skies, but whether you believe in the Bible version, the pagan version, or something in between, it’s a good time. It doesn’t even have to be Christmas to celebrate. I am willing to raise a toast to a happy Kwanzaa, spin the dreidel for a merry Hanukkah, or toss a log on for a delightful Yuletide. My mom is celebrating the winter solstice this year instead of Christmas, and I’m down for that too. I think a glass of wine can definitely be had to celebrate whatever the sun is doing this time of year, no problem.

It isn’t just about the presents, which are definitely fun, but for me, it’s about laughing with people, putting that extra little thought into something for someone, and sharing food and drink with people we love (or tolerate a couple times a year). But let’s be honest here, gifts are exciting whether you are getting them or giving them. I love the excitement of giving someone a gift I just know they will love or that will make them laugh. Case in point, the year my dying father told my brother he wanted a bigger cock for Christmas… and my brother promptly delivered him a robust three-foot tall plaster-cast rooster as a gift. Welcome to my family.

I received an early Christmas present today from a friend of mine that has known me for twenty-five years. This lady delivered several items! Eyeshadow that smells of sugar cookies, mascara that makes me look like I should be modeling eyelash extensions and lipstick that looks so good on me that it’s like I invented it. Not to mention a giant bottle of Hempz lotion that smells of spun sugar and vanilla bean which leaves a hint of shimmer on my skin that makes me glow like a healthy person.

I love receiving gifts, and I absolutely adore giving them. I’m super excited to give gifts to Richy, which I can’t discuss here, as he will probably edit this later, but I hope he likes them. I got a silly little extra thing for my baby girl; it isn’t a big gift, in fact, it’s small and funny, but I think she will really like it. I never thought gifts had to be expensive or lavish to be meaningful, and I still feel that way. We are hand making most of the gifts we are giving to people. Hopefully they will turn out well and not looking like something you’d find hanging on the walls of a kindergarten classroom wall.

So whatever you are celebrating this time of year, I hope it’s a happy one. Personally, I am celebrating Christmas with Santas and snowmen, nutcrackers and tinsel and loads of wine!

Please be kind to one another and remember to spread some love this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment